[Wien] Total density of states versus projected density of states

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 17 22:48:05 CEST 2009

The UG says:

Please note: The total DOS is equal to the sum over the atoms of the
total-atomic DOS (inside spheres) and the interstitial-DOS. (Thus in the
total-atomic DOS the “multiplicity” of an atom is considered). On the
other hand, in the partial (lm-like) DOS the multiplicity is not
considered and one obtains the total-atomic DOS as a sum over all
partial DOS times the multiplicity.

So the total Fe DOS is already multiplied by 2.
On the other hand the Fe-s,p,d,eg,... DOS would NOT be multiplied by MULT.

Just use "common sense": The total DOS is 6.4; the sum of the DOS inside
spheres is 5.6, so obviously 0.8 is the interstitial.

You can also check case.outputt, where next to the DOS also the
integrated DOS is listed. Compare the integrals at EF with the partial
charges in case.scf (:QTL and :CHA0xx ).