[Wien] How to select proper K-mesh for slab

Donghui Guo dhguo at cat.hokudai.ac.jp
Mon Mar 16 09:10:10 CET 2009

Dear all WIen2k users,

I am not clear how to select proper k-mesh for slab, even after I searched in mailing list.
For bulk strutcture, I used (10x10x10) k-mesh, and then I made slab by "x supercell". So far, the slab is (1x1x10) with 20 bohrs vacuum. Should I use k-mesh of (10x10x1)?  In another word, if x and y directions are not multipled in real space, should the k-mesh keep the bulk parameter in x and y directions?
Meanwhile, I found a email (posted by Mr. Andersen at Jun 1, 2004) which said "usually a k-mesh with (X X 1), where X is any odd number, is considered good for a surface". I don't know why "odd number" is "good for surface".
Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Yours,
Donghui Guo