[Wien] Reference energy for eigenvalues

Oleg Rubel oleg.rubel at physik.uni-marburg.de
Mon Mar 16 23:41:53 CET 2009

Dear Wien2k Community,

I need to compare eigenvalues calculated with Wien2k for different
compounds. I found a number of discussions in the mail-list regarding
the issue of the reference energy. They all concur that the reference
energy is an average potential in the interstitial region. In one of
the postings
(http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2004-September/003582.html)
Peter Blaha suggests UST0 returned by
CALL REAN3(NKK,KZZ,CVALUE,IFF1,IFF2,IFF3,CFFT,UST,UST0)
be the value of the potential in the interstitial region (if I
understand it correctly).

I wander what are the units of UST0? It seems that UST0 is
proportional to the volume of the unit cell. In GaAs I found:
UST0 = 231.58 (UNIT CELL VOLUME =     298.59750)
UST0 = 926.31 (UNIT CELL VOLUME =    1194.38998)
corresponding to 2-atom and 8-atom basis. Obviously, in case of the
average potential, it should not change at all for the same compound.
Nevertheless, eigenvalues of 3d electrons are -2.30 and -0.73 Ry in
both cases.

An isolated "As" has the eigenvalue of 3d electrons at -2.95 Ry. I
would expect the difference between -2.30 and -2.95 Ry to be mainly
due to the change of the reference energy. But how to bring
eigenvalues to the same scale?

Please help!

Thank you in advance,

Oleg Rubel