[Wien] Reference energy for eigenvalues

Oleg Rubel oleg.rubel at physik.uni-marburg.de
Fri Mar 20 00:16:04 CET 2009

Thank you for the reply.

> Peter Blaha wrote:
>
> The only way would be to simulate a surface with a thick vacuum. You can then
> check V-zero in the middle of the vacuum region and subtract this value from
> EF (gives the work function).

I do not think this is the way I am going to go. My interest is the
deformation potential of selenium. Also, I would like to distinguish
between between different bands (not just the energy gap). A crude
estimate shows that I will need eigenvalues with the accuracy of
better than 0.001 Ry.

> However, you can compare "binding energies" (which will be rather
> bad as absolute numbers,
> DFT), or more interesting, "core-level shifts". For this purpose you
>  relate the eigenvalues of two different
> calculations to their fermi energies, and the difference is already
> a good estimate of the shifts.

In my case, the difference of Fermi energies is a too rough estimate.
However, what works probably fine is taking one of the deep core
states (say S1) as a reference when comparing two calculations,
provided this atom present in both calculations.

For example in trigonal Selenium (semiconductor):

VOLUME = 552.24497
E_FERMI = 0.27371 Ry
E_1S = -916.580021885 Ry

VOLUME = 535.67766
E_FERMI = 0.24834 Ry
E_1S = -916.601436004 Ry

The difference between the Fermi energies (the top of the valence
band) is 0.02537 Ry. The difference between 1S eigenvalues is 0.02141
Ry. Can attribute 0.00396 Ry (= 0.02537 - 0.02141) to the deformation
potential of the valence band edge? If so, I get correct at least an
order of magnitude for the deformation potential.

> You can also apply Slaters transition state theory using half a
> core-hole to get better absolute energies
> (still with respect to EF).

Please, correct me if I am wrong. Slaters transition state theory is
intended for treating excitations and allows to improve over DFT-LDA
energy gap for semiconductors. I do not quite understand its relation
to the problem of the reference energy.

> I very much doubt that a 2 and 8 atom GaAs cell has so different
> eigenvalues. Something is wrong
> (with the 8-atom cell)

Sorry, I did not express myself clearly. -2.30 and -0.73 Ry are
eigenvalues of 3d-As and 3d-Ga states in GaAs. They are exactly the
same in 2- and 8-atom cell. This was my point to say that, although,
UST0 changes eigenvalues stay the same.

What about units of UST0? I looked at REAN3.f, and it seems that UST0
is just a first Fourier coefficient, which should contain the average
value. Could it be that UST0 is the average potential multiplied by
the number of points in Fourier expansion?

Thank you once again for the suggestions,

Oleg Rubel