[Wien] spin and orbital moment of vanadium

Hua Wu wu at ph2.uni-koeln.de
Wed Nov 4 09:42:22 CET 2009

Dear Zhijian,

  Your current solution may not be wrong but a metastable solution.
Since the SOC splitting is about 20 meV for vanadates, LDA+SOC+U
calculations with U of several eVs can easily run into different metastable
SOC-splitting states. My suggestion is (1) calculate the crystal field level
splitting and then think about the likely SOC ground state. (2) play with
the density matrix to set the likely ground state and excited states. (3)
compare the LDA+U+SOC total energy for the stable solutions in (2).

In this respect, my recent publication "Spin and orbital states in
La1.5Sr0.5CoO4 studied by electronic structure calculations"
http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevB.80.081105
may be of your interest.

best wishes -- H. Wu