[Wien] 4f and LDA+U

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Fri Oct 30 08:45:57 CET 2009

> Regarding the two different values of  Ef, I checked  case.inorb and it
> seems ok. U is applied only on the  f states of Nd:

Yes, that file seems to be fine.

>   1  2  0                     nmod, natorb, ipr
> PRATT  1.0                    BROYD/PRATT, mixing
>   1 1 3                          iatom nlorb, lorb
>   2 1 3                          iatom nlorb, lorb
>    1                              nsic 0..AFM, 1..SIC, 2..HFM
>    0.625 0.00        U J (Ry)   Note: we recommend to use U_eff = U-J
> and J=0
>    0.625 0.00        U J (Ry)   Note: we recommend to use U_eff = U-J
> and J=0

> the calculation are performed as follow :
>
> runsp_lapw -p -fc 0.1
> save_lapw case1

<here lapwdm?>

> runsp_lapw -orbc -p -fc 0.1
> save_lapw case2
> runsp_lapw -orb -p -fc 0.1.
>
> x lapw2 -qtl -c -up  -p
> x lapw2 -qtl -c -dn  -p

This is OK, but I'm not sure whether your -orbc step has any effect.
With orbc, the orbital potential is calculated from the existing density
matrix (case.dmat*), without updating these later on. In your
description, there are no dmat files present yet (I did not verify how
wien2k deals with that). You could run lapwdm (with the same options as
lapw2) once at that stage.

Can you show by output where you get this information on 'two different
fermi energies'? You have to look in case.scf, not elsewhere.

Stefaan