[Wien] Crystal field splitting in empty 3d band of Fe2O3

Hua Wu wu at ph2.uni-koeln.de
Thu Sep 17 10:49:51 CEST 2009

Dear Y. Ding,

 For the material Fe2O3 having the formal high-spin Fe3+ and a closed
up-spin shell, I think LDA (when giving an insulating solution) or LDA+U
partial d-DOS can well show the t2g-eg (if being eigenorbitals) crystal field
splitting.

Just a note: have you worked with a hexagonal lattice coordinate or a local
octahedral coordinate ?  May the short Fe-Fe pair or a trigonal field distort
too much the crystal field level diagram ?

best regards -- H. Wu