[Wien] CPU question

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 1 15:08:05 CEST 2010

As far as I know the best price performance ratio have the Intel Core I7
processors, and here it is important that you get a 9XX series processor
(920, 930,...), because only those have the fast memory access.

I did not test the 8XX models myself, but at least from the specifications
they should be slower (even with higher clock frequency) because of the
slower bus (any benchmark time would be wellcome)!
http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/benchmark/

The same is even more true for I5 (or I3) processors.

It is very easy to do k-parallel calculations, so when you have the money,
a few PCs can easily run in parallel.