[Wien] La f-local orbital energy effects on spin polarized calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 7 16:24:31 CEST 2010

I'm not sure where it is documented that you should put a La-4f local orbital
at high energy, at least I do not agree for general purpose (only for specific
tasks where you need unoccupied states).

In any case, your input does NOT put a local orbital, but expands the La-f states
as APWs with a very high linearization energy (at least with 3.0 it means you do
NOT have any proper 4f basis functions near EF).
An LO would require that you repeat the same "l"-line twice (as for s and p in
your example below).

So most likely, the "3.0" calculation is worse; which you can also see from
the "variational principle", i.e. a better basis should give a lower E-tot
(-40468.398065 for 1.0 vs.    -40468.173848 for 3.0)