[Wien] La f-local orbital energy effects on spin polarized calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 8 13:15:41 CEST 2010

> I guess I misinterpreted the info at the UG ("LAPW1" section, "Input"
> subsection, almost at the end of that subsection where it is explained
> the "Line 4"), you are totally correct, it is only needed when I'm
> interested at unoccupied states.
> However, including a proper LO ("l"-line twice) at the La-4f (in order
> to avoid linearization errors or try to reduce it) should not affect
> in any drastic way the total energy, right? I would like to know how
> may I choose the two energies for this LO?, should I pick the same
> value for both?

No, you must pick two energies which differ by at least 0.5-1.0 Ry

> Basically what I tried to perform with this scheme was the description
> of the La-atom in the system without f-states, as discussed before in

But then do not wonder that calculations with/without 4f states yield different
results. "Removing" the 4f states is a "brutal" approximation. If you do not trust
the GGA description of La 4f states, the cleaner solution is to use LDA+U
for these states, which will shift them a bit higher in energy. (use -orb, not -orbc)