[Wien] Fe and Ni volume optimization

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:49:43 CEST 2010

It should like your optimize.job file does not have the appropriate
clmextrapol/dstart commands in it for spin-polarized; this is one of the few
ways that lapw0 can crash if you do not have overlapping RMTs. Look to see
if you have the relevant case.clmup/case.clmdn files and that they are not
empty. Also, look at the error file, and try running just "x lapw0 -p" (or
no -p if appropriate) as this may give more information.

2010/4/20 shamik chakrabarti <shamikphy at gmail.com>

> Dear Swati Madam & Wien2k users,
>
>                                                                    I have
> edited the optimize.job file to put change in volume by -5%, -3%, -1% and
> 0%. It has calculated the scf for the first 3 structures but is not to able
> to calculate even for the 0% structure. The error appeared is "Error in
> LAPW0" for that last structure. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
> in advance.
>
> with regards,
> Shamik Chakrabarti
>

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM, shamik chakrabarti <shamikphy at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear Madam,
>>
>>                          I have reduced the Rmt value by 8% from the
>> almost touching sphere value. Then I get scf for three structures -5% and
>> -3% and -2%....but it is not working even for increment of 1% from the
>> experimental structure. As it is working for reduced volume hence there
>> should not be any problem such as overlapping of muffin-tin sphere. Then why
>> it is not working for increased volume?...the same error is appearing "
>> error in LAPW0" even for the 1% increased structure. The 0% structure is
>> giving proper scf as I have run one scf before the volume optimization and
>> it has worked well.
>>
>> regards,
>> Shamik Chakrabarti
>>

>> 2010/4/20 swati chaudhury <swati at rcais.res.in>
>>
>>>  Hi Shamik,
>>>     You can try volume optimization at 0% in spin-polarised case as a
>>> case study. Then see what will happen any error or not. If not, put +2% and
>>> -2% working or not. If ok, check your RMT value and then try with other
>>> values. Sometimes the process looks like illogical but it helps to find out
>>> problem.
>>> best of luck.
>>> swati

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
Chair, Commission on Electron Crystallography of IUCR
www.numis.northwestern.edu/
Electron crystallography is the branch of science that uses electron
scattering and imaging to study the structure of matter.