[Wien] LCAO vs. LAPW

Lukasz Plucinski pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 30 12:55:38 CEST 2010

Dear Wien2k users,
(I am sending the same email with smaller attachment, because of the
40kB attachment limit)

I have calculated ferromagnetic FeRh according to the parameters from
Koenig et al. J. Phys. F 12, 1123 (1982). Its CsCl lattice, with (0,0,0)
and (a/2, a/2, a/2) positions with 2.985 A lattice constant. I used all
default WIEN2k settings.

I obtained slightly different band positions, see attached figure. My
DOS is also slightly different than Koenig et al, and another LCAO
calculation of Moruzzi et al. PRB 46, 2864 (1992). Shape of the DOS and
even the y-scale [states/eV] values agree, but there are slight shifts
in energy, maybe up to 0.5 eV for some parts.

Are differences of this order something expected between LMTO and LAPW ?

I also noticed a recent paper on merging LAPW with LMTO subject: by
Kotani and Schlifgaarde http://prb.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v81/i12/e125117

Regards,

Lukasz