[Wien] LDA+U changed between the versions?

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 3 17:20:28 CEST 2010

Igor,

Thanks for the suggestion.
For the compound I am faced with, Ce127, I treated 4f as  localized
states first by following the instruction given in
WIEN2k-FAQ: "open core" treatment of 4(5)f electrons

and the procedure worked fine.
But I also noticed the comment
"A better approach would be to use LDA+U, which is available in WIEN2k."
I then had to fight with the whole business of the convergence problem.

As for Ce in the compound being mixed valence state or not, how can we
decide a priori?
The conventional LDA calculation always puts the Ce 4f close to the
Fermi energy,
yielding a fractional occupation.
I appreciate if you can share more of your experience.

You are right. The LDA+U to iron pnictides is unphysical because they
are metallic.
I simply used it to find out why the LDA+U does not work for Ce systems.

Laurence,

I just copied the two files you pointed from 10.1 into 9.2 SRC_mixer
folder, and will report again what I can obtain.

Best regards,

Jianxin