[Wien] Question on generating struct file given the distance between layers

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Aug 5 09:14:22 CEST 2010

You have two choices:

Design your system on a piece of paper with as many layers as desired.
Calculate the total length along z (which will be your c-lattice parameter)
Draw the atoms and "calculate" the position of each atom (in "fractional
coordinates", i.e. in fractions of c) and put them into the struct file.

This is a good exercise anyway for a beginner (checkout one of my pdf-files
of the latest WIE2k-workshop-tutorials) to understand what I eant you to do.

Alternatively, I'd start from the bulk struct files and use    supercell
(or the structeditor) to generate two slabs with the desired number of atoms
and the proper amount of vacuum (so that the cell can accomodate the second slab).
In addition, in one of the slabs "shift" all atoms to the upper part of the cell.
Then you can manually copy/paste the positions of one slab into the other
file.