[Wien] Slab calculations

Bartosz Slomski bartosz.slomski at psi.ch
Tue Aug 31 16:30:13 CEST 2010

Dear users,

in order to safe computational time I would like to aks you about a good
strategy to perform slab calculations.
The goal is to calculate Pb slabs with different lattice constants
taking SOI into account because of the high Z.

So far I generated a slab of 20 bohr thickness seperated by 30 bohr of
vaccum (using octave) and run the initialization procedure.

My first question is about the initialization of the structure. Should I
allow to lower the number of inequivalent atoms lets say from 24 to 3
and how many k-points should I at leaset choose.

In my first calculation I ran the SFC cylcle with 100 k points and
without inversion symmetry. It takes nearly 3 hours per one cylcle
without spin-orbit.

After that I would like to include spin-orbit and run the SFC cyle again.

Thanks for every hint on this topic.

With best regards,

Bartosz

--
Bartosz Slomski
Swiss Light Source, Paul Scherrer Institut