[Wien] density matrix normalization - expectation spin value

Robert Laskowski rolask at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Feb 5 11:59:03 CET 2010

After lapwso, vectors are non-pure spinors, it means they have both spin-up and spin-dn
parts non-zero. lapwso generates upso and dnso vectors that contains those parts, the energy files
upso and dnso are the same and they are contain all eigenvalues. If you would run lapwso but turning
off all atoms those files should contain eigenvalues from both energyup and energydn files.
So the <up|up> part of the spin matrix comes from integrating up and up part of the vector,
<dn|dn> from dn part, for <up|dn> part you have to integrate the up part of the vector with dn part of the vector.

I think that you can use WIENNCM (non-collinear version of wien2k). There lapw2 generates full spin density matrix.
SO you would need to run it on a single k-point in a narrow energy window that selects your eigenvalue (ALL option, or
hack lapw1 such that it outputs only one eigenvalue). lapw2 then prints magnetic moments ( grep for :ncmmm)
as vectors inside spheres (shere coordinate frame)  and in interstitial (cartesian), mixer rotates them into
the same frame and prints total vector. If you have spin moment as vector,  you can easily generate spin density matrix

<up|up>=(n + mz)/2
 <dn|dn>=(n - mz)/2
<up|dn>=(mx + i*my)/2
<dn|up>=(mx - i*my)/2