[Wien] [Wien2k Users] SGE Queuing System

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Sat Feb 6 17:26:47 CET 2010

What is the specific format in $TMPDIR/machines ? I have an
experimental code to generate a machines file which works for
qsub/msub and the sgimpi format, and if you (or someone else) can
provide this I can probably add it. The idea is to have a "x
Machines2W -opt" or similar command where "opt" would be qsub/msub/sgi
or other.

N.B., if anyone knows of other formats, please email to my personal email.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Duy Le <ttduyle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some notes, hope those help you:
>
> 1. W2web looks simple but it is complicated than command mode. So if
> you want to use it, use it for initializing the calculation only. You
> should not rely on w2web.
>
> 2. mpi or k-parallel or hybrid mod is defined by a file name
> .machines. Depend on this .machines file, wien2k will do mpi,
> k-parallel, or hybrid mod.
> User the wien2k guide to learn the structure of .machines file.
> Of course, you have to use also option -p
>
> 3. If you use queue system, you have to be able to parse the .machines
> file on the fly because you don't know which nodes (cores) you jobs
> will use. For this reason, w2web is very complicated.
>
> 4. Here is a sample of job file for sge engine
> http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/faq/sge.job
> Hope you can get a idea of making job file.

> Duy Le
> PhD Student
> Department of Physics
> University of Central Florida.
>
> "Men don't need hand to do things"
>

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Ghosh SUDDHASATTWA
> <ssghosh at igcar.gov.in> wrote:
>> Dear Sir,
>> My question was on the procedure of running jobs in Wien2k and not
>> submitting jobs in Wien.
>> In case, we have configured Wien2k both by mpi parallel and k-point
>> parallel, how do we tell through w2web that we want to run the job in mpi
>> parallel (and not k-point parallel) or for that matter k-point parallel.
>> The website http://wiki.cse.ucdavis.edu/support:hpc:software:wien2k gives
>> some details on how to run jobs in Wien2k by hybrid mode etc.
>> What I want to know is how do we specifically tell Wien2k to run by mpi
>> parallel by w2web.
>>
>> Suddhasattwa Ghosh

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
Chair, Commission on Electron Crystallography of IUCR
www.numis.northwestern.edu/
Electron crystallography is the branch of science that uses electron
scattering and imaging to study the structure of matter.