[Wien] nonzero energy for zero-electron system

Yurko Natanzon yurko.natanzon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:12:18 CET 2010

Dear prof. Blaha,
That you for your reply. Yes, the problem lies in the density
integrals (:DEN), all the other terms are zero. I've looked at the
clm* files and found out that the valence and core charge density are
zero, but the total density in clmsum is not zero inside the MT sphere
(and is zero in the interstitial). However, it is quite small, the
C_lm coefficients are about 10^-25, and it is quite a surprize that
the total energy is so high.

I've played with changing the number of k points, RKmax, changed basis
from LAPW to APW. Also, I've tried LDA and GGA functionals, but the
result is the same: :DEN = -0.21117633

The only non-zero potential in Kohn-Sham equations will be the
external potential -1/R, but still this doesn;t explain why the
density ingerals are non-zero. Could you explain in more detail, how
these density integrals are calculated and why they are non-zero while
the density is near zero?

with kind regards,
Yurko