[Wien] nonzero energy for zero-electron system

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Feb 10 19:51:55 CET 2010

You have to remember that you are doing a charged cell calculation, so
you are in fact calculating the energy of a +1 charge in a smeared out
compensating -ve charge. In addition, with a LAPW calculation there
are some not so obvious additional corrections; if I remember
correctly you have to look at some of the papers by Art Freeman about
how the energy is calculated to work out what they are. Sorry, I did
look into this some years ago but have completely forgotten what the
corrections are so cannot help, but someone else might know specific