[Wien] Force calculations: problem solved

mazin mazin at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Feb 18 18:38:20 CET 2010

keywords: Force calculations, R0, Forces and total energy

Thank you Peter,

This solved the problem.

This is one parameter I never ever have paid any attention to, and,
sorry to say, the Users Guide all but ignores it as well.

The w2web by itself does not reset this parameter either, it copies it
from the existing struct file (may I suggest that in the future releases
this be corrected?). So I had to delete the old struct file and start
from scratch. At this point, w2web reduced R0 for Bi greatly (from
0.0001 to 0.000005), and for Cu twice (0.00005), while regenerating the
same values for the rest.

To be honest, I do not fully understand why heavy elements should
require such drastically finer radial mesh (what recipe is actually used
in w2web?), nor why the forces are so sensitive to it. But in any event
this appears to be a fact and I suspect a fact that is not well known.
Would it be difficult to issue a warning in lstart if the radial mesh
looks insufficient for the element in question?

Thanks again, I owe you, as usually,

Igor