[Wien] [Wien2k User Group] Lattice stability in bcc, fcc and hcp and other crystal structures

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Fri Feb 19 12:21:13 CET 2010

> You have mentioned fcc or bcc. Why or?

I assumed you mentioned elemental materials (like fcc Ni, or bcc V).
There are no modifiable internal positions in such a structure, hence
nothing to do for min_lapw. But :ENE does change if you change the cell
size and/or shape (here: just the lattice parameter 'a'). Even if you do
know the experimental value of 'a', it does not necessarily correspond
to the lowest energy: DFT with presently available functionals is not
perfect.

> I ask this question from the point of view of uranium allotropes.
> It has alpha- beta and gamma -phases.
> So when I report ENE for these allotropes; do I have to do a normal SCF
> (with so,sp) or SCF with min_lapw?

It depends on what you want to do. The total energy for the experimental
structure, for the experimental cell volume/shape with optimized
positions or for the fully optimized cell are three different
quantities. It depends on your purpose which one is most suitable.

> Why should I do a structure optimization because I know they are stable
> phases? I might think of only min_lapw.

See above: the computed answer need not to coincide with the
experimental answer (sometimes there are moderate deviations, sometimes
it turns out that either one of both can be plain wrong).

Stefaan