[Wien] [Wien2k User Group] Lattice stability in bcc, fcc and hcp and other crystal structures

Ghosh SUDDHASATTWA ssghosh at igcar.gov.in
Mon Feb 22 04:14:34 CET 2010

Hi Stefaan,
Thanks for the reply. I am knowing more and more about the questions I have
asked myself.
To your following querie
" And which 'a' and 'c' lattice parameters are you going to take for
hcp-U?"

I assume U is in the hcp Zr ( we know the lattice parameters of Zr in hcp
from ICSD)
The atomic positions are 0.3333333 0.6666667 and 0.25
So I imagine U to have the same lattice parameters and then I do min_lapw.
I optimize only the internal coordinates; I try to minimize the forces
assuming my lattice parameters are same.
Can I make such an assumption? Please pardon me if I am doing any basic
mistake in assuming this.

To your first comment on the perfect agreement between theory and
experiment, I come back to the comment you made in the mail before last.
"It all depends on your problem -- I don't think this mailing list can
answer that for you.
Don't put the horse behind the carriage: first define for yourself what is
the question you want to answer. Then examine what is the 'best'
computational strategy to answer that question (where 'best' is your
compromise between speed, accuracy, effort and unavoidable limitations).
Finally, carry out the calculations, and don't make interpretations that are
not allowed under the approximations that you have adopted."

I beg your pardon Stefaan I am fairly a new user of Wien2k and I would like
to know what would be the best computational strategy.
1. min_lapw only
2. volume optimization only
3. both

If I go for 1 alone, I assume that my lattice parameters are optimized
If I go for 2 alone, I need not do min_lapw
If I go for 3, it would take a large amount of computational time and
effort.

My limited knowledge in Wien2k makes me go for 1 only that is going for
min_lapw.
Since these phases are complicated, especially beta-U, which have 8
nonequivalent positions, I cannot go for 3.
Is my strategy ok?

Any way, thanks Stefaan for all your replies and suggestions. I know more
about min_lapw than before after discussing with you on this topic.

Suddhasattwa