[Wien] Bad formation energies for the charged vacancies

Yurko Natanzon yurko.natanzon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 00:13:23 CET 2010

Thank you for the replies. I thought that such a correction was
already done in Wien2k. I should have noticed the warning in case.scf0
file:
:WARN  :        CHARGED CELL with  -1.000
        an energy correction like C Q**2/(L eps) is not included
(PRB51,4014; PRB73,35215)

I'm not sure if I understand it correctly:

1. The value of V_0 is written in case.scf0 file and is marked as
VCOUL-ZERO for each atom. So, should one take the sum of VCOUL-ZERO of
all the atoms?

2. As V_0  is arbitrarily defined, one should make some reference
calculation  and use the potential difference V_0(q)-V_0_ref, right?.

So, is the problem that the "shift" which corresponds to zero is
different for the different charge states and we cannot just take the
value of V_0 from the neutral cell as the reference? Or, will the
calculation for an empty cell (0 electrons) be such a reference?

with kind regards,
Yurko