[Wien] Bad formation energies for the charged vacancies

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Feb 25 22:30:15 CET 2010

In the integrals below, \rho is just the electronic charge density (without nuclei).
Thus c \int{\rho] does NOT vanish and gives c * NE (number of electrons).
However, if rho comes from electronic states, each eigenvalue is shifted by the constant c
and thus the sum of eigenvalues cancels the  c * NE term above.

However, when I add a "background charge" to neutralize the unit cell, this does not come
from any eigenvalue, so if I handle this in the "usual" way, \rho will now integrate to
NE + Q, and I get an extra c * Q term, which is not compensated by an eigenvalue.

PS: In response to another posting, since Q is +1 and -1 (and we assume that V-could does not change
too much), the corrections would have opposite sign for the positively and negatively charged cell !!

email: pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at