[Wien] Parallel calculation with Dual Quad Core Processors

马超 cma at blem.ac.cn
Sun Jan 10 00:32:17 CET 2010

Dear Prof. Marks,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. Now, I know how to set up the parallel calculation and edit .machines.

In addition, I have another question about the performance of my machine with Dual Quad Core Processors (i. e. 8 CPUs). By checking the process, I found eight CPUs of my machine were all used by more than 90%, even when I performed the calculation without k-point parallelization. I have compared these two cases with and without k-point parallelization, and found that they almost took the same time. So, I think it is not necessary to perform k-point parallel calculation in my case, and that this workstation will automatically allocate the mission on average to all eight CPUs . Is my understanding right? Thanks,

Best regards,

Chao