[Wien] [Wien2k User Group] Volume optimization of Zirconium

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 11 11:15:11 CET 2010

optimizing c/a and optimizing the volume are two different things.

The fit with some eos should only be done for volume optimization, but of course
NOT for c/a optimizations. Maybe this is the reason for your "scatter" ???

When you read the UG, chapeter 5.3 you will find more information.

The analysis with an eos is only for VOLUME !!! and needs an input file case.analysis
with volume/e-tot.

For EACH volume you can do a c/a optimization and then put the best energy for this
volume into case.analysis .  In order to be able to do this, you need to "understand"
what you are doing.

Another possibility is to use   parabolfit_lapw  (see UG).

However, there is even an alternative listed in the UG (did you read it ?). It is called 2Doptimize
This is probably what you want to use in your case.