[Wien] "Word too long" error (lapw1para)

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Jan 13 09:03:15 CET 2010

I found that, maybe it helps:

From
http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2002-February/000911.html

SUMMARY: tcsh question ("Word too long" message)

Thanks to:  Sherman Butler,
                   Lars Hecking
                   Fabrice Guerini
                   Scott Yelich
                   Bara Zani
                   Scott Sorrentino
                   Stephen Luxmoore
                   Richard Skelton, and,
                   Osama Ahmed

The problem was the user had cd aliased to something else.

Other suggestions:

 1 - Check for PATH too long.

2 - Search Google.

3 - check to see that there's no file called cd in his working directory and
that . is in his path

4 - Increase the default word length in tcsh source and recompile
(default=1000 characters).

Thanks again
Dave