[Wien] WIEN2k workshop: July 2010

Uichiro Mizutani uichiro at sky.sannet.ne.jp
Wed Jan 13 12:27:13 CET 2010

Dear Prof.Blaha,

Many thanks indeed for your quick reply. Regarding the invoice, I
have not received it yet. Even I have not received email reply from
him. To make sure, I am going to write him email now again.

With my best regards,

Uichiro

On 2010/01/13, at 20:09, Peter Blaha wrote:

>> 1) I can print out the output1 file and transfer a large amount of
>> data into my Macintosh personal computer to drive Igor. In the
>> case of complex alloys with a large unit cell (52 atoms per unit
>> cell in my present work), it is not so easy to locate the Fourier
>> coefficients at the symmetry point N across the Fermi level. So I
>> tried to single out the Fourier coefficients only at the symmetry
>> point N, using the XCrysDen. First, I selected the center of the
>> bcc Brillouin zone, i.e., the point N. But I realized that at
>> least another point like Gamma must be selected. Having done this,
>> I still had a long list of FF at both symmetry points N and Gamma.
>> Can I single out FF only at the symmetry point N?
>
> Defining a k-mesh in xcrysden requires to specify at least 2 k-points.
> However, you can always edit the resulting klist (case.klist or
> case.klist_band)
> and remove all other k-points, so that just point N (and a line
> with "END"
> remains in that file.
>

>> 2) According to the instruction, nband=1.35*ne+5. Could you tell
>> me the definition of the number of electrons ne? Is this the
>> number of electrons per unit cell or that per atom in the valence
>> band or something else?
>
> ne is the number of "valence" electrons in the cell, where
> "valence" includes
> also all "semicore" electrons according to your separation energy
> during init_lapw.
>

>> 1) I started to use the WIEN2k software since the middle of
>> December after completing the purchasing procedure. I sent
>> Prof.Schwarz all information about payment by fax. I wrote him
>> email to urge him to send the invoice. However, I have not heard
>> from him anything yet. Since I use the Governmental Fund to
>> purchase the WIEN2k, I must pay for it by the end of January.
>> Could you immediately send the invoice to me by ordinary air mail?
>> It must be the original. Otherwise, I cannot use my fund.
>
> I've forwarded this to K.Schwarz. He said that he has sent the
> invoice both,
> by fax and regular mail (15.Dez.2009). He is sending it again.
>
>> 2) I am interested in participating the 17th WIEN2k workshop this
>> summer. According to the website, we simply attend the lectures
>> without our own presentation. Am I right?
>
> The main point is of course to attend the WIEN2k introductory
> lectures and
> the hands-on sessions.
> In previous years we also had a poster session with posters from
> participants,
> however, this year we probably would not do this and I'd recommend
> to present
> a poster at the conference, which follows immediately after the
> workshop.
>
> --
>
>                                       P.Blaha
> ----
> Phone: +43-1-58801-15671             FAX: +43-1-58801-15698
> [...]

                                                  Dr.Uichiro Mizutani
                                 Emeritus Professor of Nagoya University
       Senior Fellow of Nagoya Industrial Science Research Institute
                                     Email: mizutani at nisri.jp