[Wien] Fermi surface in XCrySDen with data from wien2k parallel calculations

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 15 05:43:16 CET 2010

Dear Prof. Blaha and Wien2k users,

I searched through the archive again and found Prof. Blaha has
suggested using cat case.output1_1 case.output1_2 ... > case.output1
after the procedure
> x lapw1 -p
> x lapwso -p
> x lapw2 -so -fermi -p

and render the Fermi surface in xcrysden.
I will give it a try.

An issue not related to "-p" option ---
Even if  I can display the Fermi surface in the Xcrysden for my PM
case with spin-orbit coupling,
the displayed Fermi surface does not make any sense, when I check it
with the band spaghetti plot.
Is this the issue of XCrySDen?

Also I noticed in the case folder, the case.in1c is empty but the
case.in2c is not empty.
It was just because of the file case.in1c being empty that I failed to
run x kgen -so.
Of course, I also failed to run x lapw1 -c  and x lapwso -c.

Thanks,

Jianxin

On Jan 14, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Jian-Xin Zhu wrote:

> Dear Prof. Blaha and Wien2k users,
>
> I am trying to plot the Fermi surface in XCrySDen for a system with
> spin-orbit coupling.
> After I finish the self-consistency calculations by
> run_lapw -so -cc 0.0001 -i 40 -p
>
> I save the data and start the following to prepare the data for
> Fermi surface plotting with XCrySDen (k points have been prepared
> without shift as
> required by XCrySDen) ---
>
> x lapw1 -p
> x lapwso -p
> x lapw2 -so -fermi -p
>
> I then start the XCrySDEN and select
> File ---> Open WIEN2k ---> Fermi Surface  (hit OK) ---> Render Fermi
> Surface
> I then got error in reading the  data.
> Note the panel of XCrySDen: Fermi Surface Preparation does not
> provide the case to run the calculations with spin-orbit coupling,
> that is,
> "x lapw2 -so -fermi"
>
> If I take off the -p option above, and I can plot the Fermi surface
> successfully.
> It makes me wonder whether I have missed some steps when -p option
> is used.
> I do notice that the file case.energy is empty when x lapw1 -p is
> executed.
> So I try running "x  sumpara -d" after finishing "x lapw2 -so -fermi
> -p", to no avail.
>
> I searched through the Wien2k archive and could not  find a
> discussion on this issue.
>
> Your help/advice is appreciated.
>
> Jianxin

Jian-Xin Zhu, Ph.D