[Wien] How to decrease interstitial charges?

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Sun Jul 25 20:26:12 CEST 2010

Dear Ahmad,

Just to add one more comment. Such values are expected due to the high
covalency of the chemical bond between carbon atoms in both graphene and
diamond.

In fact, what you obtain is certainly values like (consider atom 1 as
carbon):

CHA001 = 1.7  (which gives you the number of valence electron inside the
MT sphere)

and

CTO001 = 3.7 (which gives you the number of total electron inside de MT
sphere)

So as you mention 2 electrons are missing (in comparison to the atomic
electronic structure 1s2 2s2 2p2), but the interaction is strong between
carbon atoms (same electronegativity) and then an important part of the
electronic density is in between the atoms (i.e. in the interstitial
region). So a significant part of the charge should be in the
interstitial region.

Lets take one of my examples to illustrate this feature. Sometimes ago I
did calculation on vanadate compounds and the charge in the MT sphere of
vanadium was as follow:

CHA = 1.818 for a vanadium 5+

CHA = 1.874 for a vanadium 4.5+

CHA = 1.899 for a vanadium 4+

As you see an increase of 1 electron in terms of formal charge lead to
an increase of 0.081 electrons in the MT sphere !!!

So the variation is very small although in such a strong change from V5+
(with 3d0 electronic configuration) and V4+ (3d1).

So you can imagine that between graphene and diamond the change is
smaller (same oxidation degree but different hybridation).

To conclude, when you are interested in the "real" charge of an atom you
have to consider Bader charges or related tools (look at AIM program in
WIEN2k).

Best regards

Xavier