[Wien] Changes in case_xx.def files

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 29 14:09:05 CEST 2010

If it takes 2 hours for a lapw1up/dn, you need to use more resources,
either mpi or nodes.

As an addendum, you may want to set TMPDIR (maybe FORT_TMPDIR) for
some scratch files which are used by (I think) lapw2, see

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=60212&o=d&s=lr

2010/7/28 Marcos Veríssimo Alves <marcos.verissimo.alves at gmail.com>:
> [...]
>> > However, it looks like our NFS system (which is actually an AFS one) is
>> > still a bit unstable, since the cluster has been upgraded and
>> > re-assembled
>> > very recently. Problem is, the sysadmins have gone on vacations, so I'll
>> > have to find a way of getting around this the best I can until the
>> > beginning
>> > of next month.
>> > My current problem is that looks like some nodes of our cluster have
>> > been
>> > losing connection with the AFS server intermittently, and from what I
>> > see
>> > (please correct me if I'm wrong) all the writing is done over the
>> > network to
>> > the home directory. So, during the writing of the energy_up files, if
>> > the
>> > connection is lost then lapw2 will crash. Indeed, one of the instances
>> > of
>> > lapw1 resulted in an energyup file, in the end, with 0 size. This in
>> > turn
>> > made lapw2 crash, and this has happened overnight.
>> > My question is, I would like to make a small (I guess) change in the
>> > scripts, wherever needed. Instead of writing some files (only the ones
>> > that
>> > are critical for the execution of the next code) to the home, which
>> > would be
>> > done over AFS, they would be done in the scratch directory, which is
>> > local.
>> > Then, at the end of the execution, they would be copied to the home
>> > directory, possibly with a check on the success of the operation. I
>> > don't
>> > know if this would be better, but at least the problems with network
>> > load
>> > would be much more punctual, and it could also be more prone to error
>> > control.
>> > Since I do not have much knowledge of csh programming (I'm mostly a bash
>> > guy) and the Wien2k scripts are pretty complex beasts to which I am not
>> > very
>> > acquainted, could you give your opinions on the feasibility of my
>> > suggestions, and if they are not too complex to implement, possible
>> > changes
>> > and/or places to be changed in the scripts?
>> > Best regards,
>> > Marcos
>> >

>> --
>> Laurence Marks
>> Department of Materials Science and Engineering
>> MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
>> 2220 N Campus Drive
>> Northwestern University
>> Evanston, IL 60208, USA
>> Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
>> email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
>> Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
>> Chair, Commission on Electron Crystallography of IUCR
>> www.numis.northwestern.edu/
>> Electron crystallography is the branch of science that uses electron
>> scattering and imaging to study the structure of matter.

Laurence Marks