[Wien] ifort bug (with no optimization flags)

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 17 17:01:40 CEST 2010

Hi Laurence,

Are you meaning the following compiler options are not enough

-FR -mp1 -prec_div -pc80 -pad -align -traceback

and we'd better add  -O2
as

-O2 -FR -mp1 -prec_div -pc80 -pad -align -traceback

to avoid the bug?

Thanks,

Jianxin

On Jun 17, 2010, at 7:07 AM, Laurence Marks wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> There appears to be a bug in version 11.X of ifort which is not there
> in 10.0 if no optimization flags are used. I would suggest the use of
> -O2, which appears to be safe and gives the same result (within
> numerical error) as gfortran and 10.0 versions. (There is a bug with
> -O3 in symmetry which was previously reported by Gerhard Fecher.)
>
> N.,B., while most people will have used some optimization, the
> siteconfig script does not include any at least in my version of it.
>
> --
> Laurence Marks
> Department of Materials Science and Engineering
> MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
> 2220 N Campus Drive
> Northwestern University
> Evanston, IL 60208, USA
> Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
> email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
> Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
> Chair, Commission on Electron Crystallography of IUCR
> www.numis.northwestern.edu/
> Electron crystallography is the branch of science that uses electron
> scattering and imaging to study the structure of matter.

Jian-Xin Zhu, Ph.D
Theoretical Division, MS B262
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545