[Wien] mBJ potential and LDA+U

Kamil Klier kk04 at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Jun 17 23:40:13 CEST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Please comment on the following question regarding the mBJ
calculations (section 4.5.8 of the Wien2k 10.1 user manual):

Is it acceptable, on theoretical grounds, to calculate the scf cycle
using LDA+U, not just LDA or PBE as stated in the User Manual, before
the calculation using the mBJ potential?

This query is based on some calculations I have done for ZnO, and am
now running for anion-doped ZnO.

I have read the PRL 2009 vol. 102 paper by Fabian Tran and Peter
Blaha, and am getting a comparable bandgap for ZnO using Wien2k 10.1,
as expected. The mBJ bandgap does not seem to depend on the functional
in the scf calculation done in the first step (User Manual p. 49,
section 4.5.8).
I have tried the 'regular' LDA, PBE, WC, -eece, and LDA+U and all of
these yielded the same bandgaps.

However, the separation of the filled VB levels, O2p and Zn3d below
it, was found significantly greater with LDA+U than by the other
methods, appx. by 1 - 1.2 eV.  And this LDA+U result is in a better
agreement with XPS experiment than the rest. So the 'best' result is
obtained by LDA+U followed by mBJ.

If there are no conflicts between the potentials in LDA+U and mBJ, it
would seem that this combination will yield better relative energies
of the d-levels and the bandgap.  Please correct if this is wrong.

Greetings, Kamil Klier