[Wien] (no subject)

Ghosh SUDDHASATTWA ssghosh at igcar.gov.in
Mon Jun 28 05:13:22 CEST 2010

Thanks Kurt for the kind response.
SG

-----Original Message-----
From: wien-bounces at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
[mailto:wien-bounces at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at] On Behalf Of Kurt
Lejaeghere
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:42 PM
To: A Mailing list for WIEN2k users
Subject: Re: [Wien] (no subject)

> 1. Usually the case.in1 generated by default is more than sufficient to
get
> a good value of total energy. Why does it not work with Fe?
> 2. Can we know a priori that the default case.in1 would not work for a
> certain element or any system?

In general an LO has to be included when the same level of the
underlying shell does not fully belong to the core. This is done
automatically by WIEN2k. One in fact expands the basis set with
functions that are linked to occupied orbitals.

With L=2 in iron this is not the case. The corresponding LO is only
used for an improved flexibility, and this basis function is similar
to an unoccupied orbital. The question whether an additional LO has to
be included, is a matter of trial-and-error: you just wait and see if
the original basis set suffices or not.

With kind regards

Kurt Lejaeghere