[Wien] Bad formation energies for the charged vacancies

John Pask pask1 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 4 22:09:43 CET 2010

Hi Laurence,

Sorry for the delay in getting back....

> I think the issue is that at present Wien2k does not really add a
> constant charge background and calculate the self-energy of this
> charge (in a given potential), it instead add the potential associated
> with this charge.

Yes, sounds like that may be the issue. Because the neutralizing
background charge is not actually being added to the remaining
physical charge, and carried along with the physical charge at all
points, the total energy is not uniquely defined.

> If one has N-1 electrons, a nuclear charge of N,
> only N-1 eigenvalues are calculated, no "eigenvalue" for a flat
> background (of course one would not get a flat eigenvalue).

Right. Ideally, the N-1 states would be used to construct the physical
part of the density, then the constant neutralizing background would
be added to that to construct the total. If this is not the case, then
there will be inconsistencies/ambiguities.

> You can see this by doing a calculation of an H+ ion in a cell with no
> electrons. The results one will get is -ve, i.e. it is the energy of a
> H+ ion in the background potential. This is not the same as the energy
> of an H+ ion in vacuum.

(... which we should approach in the limit of infinite cell dimension.)

> The question is then how to do a realistic charged cell calculation
> with meaningful energies taking account of the effect of a potential
> shift? If vacuum is available one can determine the potential shift
> and correct; one can also calibrate the value of a core level and use
> this to determine the shift (with reservations) but it would be nice
> to have a more elegant method......

One answer (e.g., Makov-Payne and others) is to always neutralize non-
neutral cells with a constant background so that there are no
arbitrary constants in energies. Then correct the resulting energies
with multipole terms which vanish as L^-1, L^-3, etc. (L = cell dim.)
to aid convergence to the (unique) infinite-L limit.

However, some recent work, in the context of defects in condensed
matter, seeks to compute and apply potential shifts to define
meaningful energies: e.g.,

Title: Accurate prediction of defect properties in density functional
supercell calculations
Author(s): Lany S, Zunger A
Source: MODELLING AND SIMULATION IN MATERIALS SCIENCE AND
ENGINEERING   Volume: 17   Issue: 8Article Number: 084002   Published:
DEC 2009

Note, though, that here too there is some arbitrariness, e.g., in
defining the "site potentials." In any case, possibly some of the
ideas could be of help?

John