[Wien] Convergence check

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Wed May 12 08:47:17 CEST 2010

The equilibrium lattice parameter is a *property* of the system you
study, while RKM and kmesh are *input* parameters that determine the
numerical accuracy of your calculation (only the numerical accuracy, the
'physical accuracy' is determined by the XC-functional that you use).

A procedure that is not unique, but quite safe and that does not involve
more work than strictly needed:

* For a reasonable guessed lattice constant and a default RKM (7.0),
check as many properties as you can as a function of kmesh (starting at
4-10 k-points, and always doubling the mesh). Properties are :ENE,
:MMIxxx, :FORxxx, :EFGxxx, ...

* For the lowest kmesh that gives you the 'same' values as for your
higest kmesh, check the properties again, but now as a function of RKM
(start at 6 and go in steps of 0.5 up to 8.5 or 9.0). Only for :ENE you
cannot do this, as increasing the basis set will lower the energy always.

* If you insist on having verified total energies, repeat the second
step for a lattice parameter that is 0.1 au different from your guessed
one, and plot the *difference* of these total energies as a function of
RKM.

* At this point, you know now the optimal k-mesh and RKM. Now you can
safely vary the lattice parameter to find an E(V) curve, elastic
properties, etc.

Stefaan