[Wien] About initso

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 18 07:34:10 CEST 2010

> Userguide says when you change RKM, kpoints etc, you should x dstart
> again for a new scf.

NO !!! The UG does NOT say this. (If it does tell me where !).

Once you have a converged scf-density, you normally NEVER run dstart (or
init_lapw) again when changing some computational parameters.

It was stressed several times.

create structure
init_lapw
run_lapw
save_lapw
change some convergence parameters (k-mesh, RKmax,)
run_lapw

The advantage of this is that the second run_lapw with the improved
parameters will normally converge in much fewer iterations than the
first one.

One should run    x dstart   only of an scf-cycle has diverged and
stopped due to "ghostbands".

One should run   init_lapw   only if you changed sphere sizes RMT
(or at least run:  x lstart, x dstart -super, x clmextrapol)

 But when I switch on the so coupling, the sysmetry
> changed and I accepted the new structure, I have the generate new
> kpoints(although i set the same total kpoints as before in BZ, but the
> actually calculated kpoints in IBZ is different). Since the kpoints
> changed, do i have to rerun x dstart before runsp -so ?
> Thanks:)
> Hui

Peter Blaha
Inst.Materialchemie, TU Wien