[Wien] Magnetism of dilute alloys

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Wed May 19 08:40:42 CEST 2010

> When the RMT is set to be smaller and keep the value of RMT*KMAX the
> same, there will be more plane waves in Wien. On the other hand, VASP is
> package using a plan wave basis, so I think the results of the two
> package will be almost the same when the RMT set to be smaller.

Good attempt, but not really true. VASP has plane waves *and* a
pseudopotential. Therefore, with a reasonable number of plane waves you
get a good description. If, however, you would set RMT to zero in wien,
you have an all-electron calculation (no pseudopotential) with a plane
wave basis. That would require zillions of basis functions -- impossible
in practice.

> And I did the calculations of the same system FeZn35 with spin and no
> spin. The result shows that the total energy of no-spin is
> -128273.80637250 Ry and that of spin is -128273.83372717 Ry. The former
> is smaller, about 0.03 Ry.

Fine -- this suggests that you should be able to find the magnetic
solutions with VASP as well.

Stefaan