[Wien] Problem with geometry minimzation

Saeed Bahramy bahramy at riken.jp
Tue Nov 2 17:33:43 CET 2010

> Ok. From this you can clearly see that E-tot and FGL does not fit
> together.
>
> Smaller forces give less negative E-tot. (At least if forces on
> other atoms
> do not destroy this simple logic) and since PORT minimizes E-tot, it
> finishes,
> although it has non-zero forces.
Well, for those steps the total forces on other atoms are large and
that's the reason why E-tot is less negative. For example in the
second step, the total forces on all atoms are as follows:
        :FGL001:   1.ATOM                 0.000000000
0.000000000   -16.042000000 total forces
        :FGL002:   2.ATOM                 0.000000000
0.000000000    41.642000000 total forces
        :FGL003:   3.ATOM                 0.000000000
0.000000000    10.710000000 total forces
and accordingly in this steps :ENE is the highest.

>> I'm quite sure that my struct file is correct. The initail
>> coordinates (as well as lattice parameters) have been taken from
>> experiment. Before restarting the min_lapw calculation,
> This does not say anything. Is R0 ok ? RMTs set properly ?
R0=0.0001 and RMT=2.5 (for all three atoms). Once again, there is no
touching between the MT's

>> I do remove histories (*broyd* and *tmpM files). Below, you can
>> find the summary of (one of) my min_lapw calculation:
>
> Is it always like this, or other runs are different ?
I always remove the histories before restarting min_lapw with a new
case.inM

> If yes, the problem must be somewhere else and again, without
> testing myself,
> I cannot give more than the "standard hints", although the problem
> may stem
> from something completely different ( Are you using the latest
> WIEN2k version
> and have followed all bug-fixes discussed on the mailing list ?)

My current version of WIEN2K is 10.

Anyway, using this version of WIEN2K, I have been able to do geometry
optimization for other systems without any problem.