[Wien] Problem with force minimization

Saeed Bahramy bahramy at riken.jp
Tue Oct 26 10:17:52 CEST 2010

Dear Maxim,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually I get no error. My problem is
that force values  do not converge to what I want (1 mRy/a.u). I have
a hexagonal unit cell containing 6 atoms. The x and y coordinates are
at hight symmetry points (1/3 and 2/3) so basically the force values
along x and y are zero.  Due to the same reason, the program itself
freezes the atomic x and y positions in case.inM.

I have no problem with scf-calculation. I invoke the command "run_lapw
-I -ec 0.00001 -fc 1.0 -i 40" and after few iterations, I get what I
expect. So far so good. The problem starts when I want to optimize the
atomic positions. As I mentioned it doesn' matter what scheme I choose
in case.inM (PORT, NEW1 or NEWT), for the first few steps, The force
values decrease, but then they remain unchanged.

I have already read the tutorial which you linked it for me, but it
just gives some general idea how to do force minimization using WIEN2K.

Sincerely,
Saeed