[Wien] Strange discontinuity for GGA calculations

Natalie Holzwarth natalie at wfu.edu
Tue Sep 7 22:02:08 CEST 2010

Dear Peter,
     Thanks so much for solving this problem.   Now I am wondering
how many calculations I will need to redo to make sure that everything is
well-converged.  For this example of fcc Sc, I added the following lines
to Sc.in0:
NR2V   FFTopt IFFT
  45   45   45 5.000  1
Perhaps it would have worked as well to replace the last line by
  -1  -1 -1  5.000   1              ?
Do you generally add similar lines to all of your calculations or only
those using PBE?    In your experience is IFFTfact=5.0 always necessary or
is Sc particularly problematic?  Or is it because we have chosen to use
such small values of RMT?   I would have thought that as long as Gmax is
large enough, and the linearization energies are good enough, the
calculations should be insensitive to RMT.   Normally this seems to be the
case.   It would be nice if there were a universal recipe for always
getting converged results...
    THanks again for all of your advice,
                  Natalie