[Wien] Slab convergence

Lukasz Plucinski pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Sun Sep 12 14:26:21 CEST 2010

  Hello,

I am trying to calculate 1ML of Fe on top of Au(001).

It was no problem to calculate 20ML slab of Au(001), it converged after
37 iterations with mixing 0.1, 100k-points and all other standard
settings, also using "spin-polarized" calculation mode. I use 50 A of
the unit cell dimension, to have appropriate amount of vacuum.

However, when I put 1 Fe atom on top of one side of the slab the
calculation didn't converge after 100 iterations (I did couple of
trials). I also tried to increase the cutoff to -8 Ry, and the
calculation is running now, however, no convergence indications after 35
iterations.

My slab is not relaxed, and the distance between Fe and Au (3.295 au) is
taken from the old publication of  Freeman JMMM 75, 201 (1988).

Automatic RMT distance procedure has put all RTM to 2.5, however, this
way there is a lot of space between Au atoms. I think its better to use
2.72 for Au atoms and 2.34 for Fe atom -- is there any problem with this
? Neither setting helps the convergence...

Maybe I could decrease the amount of k-points to have faster iterations
with even lower mixing parameter ?

Regards,
Lukasz