[Wien] Bethe-Salpeter Equation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 20 07:33:22 CEST 2011

Yes, often BSE for valence optics is even more demanding than BSE for XANES, because
you have more "valence" (occupied) orbitals.

The basis of BSE is formed by the GGA-orbitals, and the size of the Hamiltonian is
Number_of_valence_bands * Number_of_conduction_bands * Number_of_k-points

Eg, with 30 valence and 30 conduction bands and 100 k-points this gives a matrix of
90000x90000, and many screened Coulomb-matrix elements, .....

Typically, we use 512 cores for such calculations .... and still it runs for many days ...

Peter Blaha
Inst. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna
Getreidemarkt 9, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43-1-5880115671