[Wien] band gap problem for optic calculation

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Wed Apr 20 12:06:57 CEST 2011

Dear Tomo,

I also noticed such behaviour. In fact, you are using approaches
allowing to go "beyond DFT" but the correction you are doing is not exact.
Depending of the system you will have the possibility to reproduce the
experimental band gap using GGA+U (for localized orbitals - 3d, 4f...)
or using hybrid functional.
In all cases, the fact that you reproduce the band gap doesn't mean that
the shape of the dielectric function is correctly reproduced, and in
fact in many cases you have a situation leading to an underestimation of
the refractive index when the band gap is well-reproduced.

Another problem comes from the definition of the band gap. You should
compare similar gaps (fundamental, optical band gaps... ).

Regards

Xavier