[Wien] problem on electronic structure in slab

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 3 12:10:00 CEST 2011

You have a small misconception.

Of course, if there is a state which is located somewhere (either at  the surface or in the
bulk), this state interacts with ALL other atoms. Eventually this interaction will be small,
but unless it is forbidden by symmetry, it will be there.

Thus if your surface layer has some DOS, the central layer MUST also have some (eventually small)
DOS. It is your responsibility to judge weather this is a "negligible" contribution (as you said, 10^-5)
or if it is sizable. If it is negligible, you still can interpret your results as being
halfmetallic in the bulk, but metallic at the surface .....