[Wien] Force Convergence Criteria/It-number

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue Aug 9 08:30:22 CEST 2011

You should minimize the internal parameters BEFORE you apply the displacements
(does your initial structure have any free internal parameters at all ?)

The forces is what you like to have to calculate the phonons, what would happen if they would be zero?
The structure with displacement, indeed, will have free parameters but youre displacement is intended
and you should not go to change that if you like to calculate the phonons.

If you have free internal parameters the forces should indeed be non-zero, you minimize the forces you do not make them vanishing.

Remember: minimization of the energy does not make it zero, I guess your total energy is very much different from your convergence criterion.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University