[Wien] Meaning of EORB

David Tompsett dat36 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 13 12:58:37 CEST 2011

Dear Fabien,

Thanks again for the response. A few more questions/comments:

1) I think the expression for exchange is clearer in eq (4) of your PRB 75,
1155108 (2006). This is primarily because the occupation matrices are
written in spin diagonal space. One of the biggest challenges for me in this
field is that most expressions in the modern papers are written in the
rotationally invariant form (in Novak Phys. Stat. Sol. (B) 243, 563 (2006)
rotationally invariant in both spin- and m-space). This also means that the
Gaunt's numbers in the appendix of Czyzyk and Sawatzky PRB 49,14211 (1994)
which are a_mm' and b_mm' become subsumed into just a(m1,m3,m4,m2) in the
rotationally invariant form. So it is quite hard to relate papers to each
other.

2) The Ylvisaker paper is very good at explaining DFT+U, but does not not
really compare to hybrids which is what I'm trying to get a grip on.

3) Essentially from this reading I think that exchange is just the second
term of eq. (2) in Shick? This is the interaction that is included in exact
exchange and Hybrids. The confusing thing is that exact exchange and Hybrids
are referred to as HF (in emails above), but HF itself does include Coulomb
interactions, just not in a way screened by correlations as in DFT+U i.e. HF
includes the bare Hartree term. In exact exchange the direct Coulomb
interaction is ignored, while in hybrids it is left to the local functional.

Cheers,
David.