[Wien] A question about density of states (DOS)

shamik chakrabarti shamikphy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 00:04:21 CEST 2011

Dear Dr Gerhard Sir,

In this regard I also want to ask one question......
whether the unoccupied part of DOS can changes with temperature?......when
some part of the vacant states will become filled at higher
temperature...does the nature of the DOS (above Fermi energy) also gets
changed?
OR
whether the nature of DOS is constant (whether occupied or unoccupied) upon
variation of temperature....it only electrons which transfer from the
occupied part to the unoccupied part with rise in temperature?

with best regards,
On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Gerhard Fecher <fecher at uni-mainz.de> wrote:

> as there are occupied states (below eF) and unoccupied states (above eF)
>
> just remeber basic quantum mechanics and imagine an H atom, you have the
> occupied 1s and the unoccupied 2s, 2p, 3s, 3p, 3d, and so on
>
> Ciao
> Gerhard
>
> ====================================
> Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
> Institut of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry
> Johannes Gutenberg - University
> 55099 Mainz

Shamik Chakrabarti
Senior Research Fellow
Dept. of Physics & Meteorology
Material Processing & Solid State Ionics Lab
IIT Kharagpur
Kharagpur 721302
INDIA