[Wien] (no subject)

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 30 21:42:01 CEST 2011

No, I very much doubt that it has to do with a basisset problem.
In the APW method you have an equally good basisset for all atoms of the
periodic table.

XAS: Yes, for XAS you should ALWAYS use a core hole calculation. The
groundstate DOS usually does not give reasonable XAS spectra.
In short: create a supercell (around 16-64 atoms) and make ONE Pt atom
"special", naming it Pt1.
After initialization remove one electron from the corresponding atom in
case.inc and add an electron in case.in2.
Run the scf; remove the extra e in case.in2 and run the xspec task.

XES: You should see the groundstate DOS.
If it does not fit to experiment, make sure the strucutre is ok, and
also your calculation and also the experiment.

Spin-orbit coupling ????

Am 30.08.2011 17:52, schrieb Василий Прядченко:
> Dear Peter Blaha and others
> Using wien2k, I've calculated L3-edge XAS and Lβ5 XAS spectra of PtO2and obtained a good agreement with the experiment data (both foremission and absorption).

However, the same calculations of PtS2&Au2S didn't give the expected
agreement.

By calculating PtS2 I didn'tmanage to get the agreement for XAS and in
case with Au2S - for XES.

Ithink such disagreements are connected with the necessity of basis
setexpanding when I replace oxygen atoms for sulfur atoms.

Could youplease recommend how to construct basis set in this concrete case.

Moreover, in my opinion, for simulating L3-edge XAS can be importantto
include the core-hole at 2p level in calculation.

In this case howto do this?