[Wien] phonon calculation

Евгения Каблиман evgeniya at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 31 23:37:45 CEST 2011

I mean minimization of internal parameters (lattice coordinates) in your
initial structure. This is a crucial point. You should not have forces on
atoms, since it is a kind of reference state. The structure optimization
(lattice parameters) itself is less crucial as long as you have the
reasonable lattice parameters.

Once you have a well relaxed structure, you can construct atomic
displacements and calculate 'total forces' using force convergence criteria
(-fc) at fixed lattice constants.

Total forces, which you need for phonon calculations, are the derivatives of
total energies with respect to atomic displacements. Therefore, in order to
get more precise values of total forces one usually constructs big
supercells. This means that a size of your supercell is also important.